All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.86
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.84
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.03
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.20
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.29
- AU $9.81Trending at AU $13.34
About this product
- DescriptionIn this fascinating book, Ora Wiskind-Elper introduces us to a figure who was ahead of his time: the Hasidic leader Rabbi Ya'akov Leiner of Izbica-Radzyn. Her translations and interpretation of his writings present the Rabbi's central ideas in a compelling form to modern readers. Though Rabbi Ya'akov lived a full century and a half ago, his teaching weaves midrash, medieval commentary, Kabbalah, and Hasidic thought together to create an invative perspective on long-established Jewish concepts. His works, kwn as the Beit Ya'akov fill four large volumes of commentary on the weekly Torah portions and the cycle of Jewish festivals-the traditional genre kwn as derashot. In exploring the diversity of the sources Rabbi Ya'akov used for his reflections on Jewish life and spirituality, the author suggests he devoted uncommon attention to emotion, human, relationships, and gender issues. Thus, in many ways, Rabbi Ya'akov's thought was extraordinary for its time and even for ours. Wiskind-Elper's insights touch readers on many different levels-intellectually, emotionally, and psychologically.
- Author BiographyOra Wiskind-Elper holds a M.A. in comparative literature and a Ph.D. in Hebrew literature from Hebrew University. She has taught at Michlalah College in Jerusalem since 1992 and has been an associate lecturer at the Lander Institute of Jewish Studies in Jerusalem since 1999. She and her family live near Jerusalem, Israel.
- Author(s)Ora Wiskind-Elper
- PublisherJewish Publication Society
- Date of Publication03/05/2010
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationPhiladelphia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJewish Publication Society
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight522 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.