Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.23
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.78
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.22
- AU $66.97Trending at AU $74.69
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.87
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.40
About this product
- DescriptionIn this fascinating book, professional historian and student of witchcraft, Pennethorne Hughes traces the origins and decline of witchcraft, delineating its various forms - a dwindling remembrance of the first group religions of mankind, Christian parody, deliberate diabolism and cruel nsense.Giving examples of conscious and unconscious diabolism still to be found in our Western civilisation today, Hughes' full treatment of the early records and medieval background of the witch-cult draws in table figures who seem to have dwelt on the fringe of a magical world-King Arthur, Jeanne d'Arc, Gilles de Rais (the original Bluebeard), and even Robin Hood.Credence in the powers of witches is, he argues, the degeneration of very early religious beliefs and practices, which at their best expressed an essential human faith in the identification of man with nature, of the self with the cosmos.Packed with intriguing stories, this book will appeal to anyone interested in the origins of witchcraft, magic and other 'alternative' religious behaviour.
- Author BiographyJames Pennethorne Hughes was a man of many parts, a poet and an expert in witchcraft and the origins of names. His other works include an introduction to Montague Summers, translation of Malleus Maleficarum and 'Is Thy Name Wart?' The Origins of some curious and other surnames.
- Author(s)Pennethorne Hughes
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/01/1980
- SubjectThe Occult & Mythology
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSutton Publishing Ltd
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
- Edition StatementNew edition
Most relevant reviews
- housewife*chris...12 Apr, 2016by
just what I ordered
It is just the book that I wanted nothing more nothing less. Thank you.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: Pre-owned
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.