All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.33Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.24Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $73.79Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.65Trending at AU $23.05
About this product
- Description<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC -//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN > With Good Intentions examines the joint efforts of Aboriginal people and individuals of European ancestry to counter injustice in Canada when colonization was at its height, from the mid-nineteenth to the early twentieth century. These people recognized colonial wrongs and worked together in a variety of ways to right them, but they could t stem the tide of European-based exploitation. The book is neither an apologist text r an attempt to argue that some colonizers were simply well intentioned. Almost all those considered here -- teachers, lawyers, missionaries, activists -- had as their overall goal the Christianization and civilization of Canada's First Peoples. By discussing examples of Euro-Canadians who worked with Aboriginal peoples, With Good Intentions brings to light some of the lesser-kwn complexities of colonization.
- Author Biography<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC -//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN > Celia Haig-Brown teaches in the Faculty of Education at York University in Toronto. David A. Nock teaches in the Department of Sociology at Lakehead University in Thunder Bay. Contributors: Thomas S. Abler, Jean Barman, Michael D. Blackstock, Sarah Carter, Janet E. Chute, Celia Haig-Brown, Mary Haig-Brown, Jan Hare, Alan Knight, David A. Nock, Donald B. Smith, and Wendy Wickwire.
- PublisherUniversity of British Columbia Press
- Date of Publication01/12/2005
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationVancouver
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of British Columbia Press
- Content Note20 b/w illustrations
- Weight848 g
- Width4217 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Edited byCelia Haig-Brown,David A. Nock
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.