All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.19
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.99
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.45
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.54
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.48
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.72
About this product
- DescriptionThe East Surreys were in near continuous action from November 1942, when they landed in North Africa (Operation TORCH) through to May 1945 at the end of hostilities in Italy. By that time they had helped to clear the Germans from Tunisia, taken part in Operation HUSKY, (the Sicily invasion ) and fought up through Italy as far as the River Po.
Trained as mountain troops, the East Surreys saw bitter action in the Atlas Mountains, on the slopes of Mount Etna and Monte Cassi, and in the unforgiving hills and valleys of the Apennines. They were called upon to cross many rivers, often opposed by a determined enemy, culminating in the Argenta Gap in the huge waterlogged valley of the River Po.
Veterans' stories illustrate the horrendous nature of the East Surrey's task, whether in set piece formation battles or patrol actions.
Especially interesting is the part played by Lieutenant John Woodhouse who commanded the Surreys' Battle Patrol. His experiences enabled this fine officer to revolutionise SAS training and tactics in the 1950s and 1960s in Malaya and Arabia, and he is credited with revitalising the SAS when it was in grave danger of being disbanded.
This story of the East Surreys shows how a single battalion can make a huge difference. It also gives the reader a real feel and understanding of the gruelling campaigns involved.Author Bryn Evans writes extensively across a range of categories, business management, travel, sport, military history or fiction, and his work has been widely published.The Queens Royal Surrey Regiment Association has published a series of his articles over recent years in their Journal. While researching this book, he has met veterans and their families world-wide, and visited the battlefields in Tunisia, Sicily and Italy.Bryn lives with his wife, Jean, in Sydney, Australia.
- Author(s)Bryn Evans
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication16/08/2012
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationSouth Yorkshire
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPen & Sword Military
- Content Note16pp B & W plates
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.