All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $92.76
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.73
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.60
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $51.92
- AU $78.77Trending at AU $115.92
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.71
About this product
- DescriptionRush Rhees, a close friend of Wittgenstein and a major interpreter of his work, shows how Wittgenstein's On Certainty concerns logic, language, and reality - topics that occupied Wittgenstein since early in his career. It is an authoritative interpretation of Wittgenstein's last great work, On Certainty , by one of his closest friends. It debunks misconceptions about Wittgenstein's On Certainty and shows that it is an essay on logic. It exposes the continuity in Wittgenstein's thought, and the radical character of his conclusions. It contains a substantial and illuminating afterword discussing current scholarship surrounding On Certainty , and its relationship to Rhees' work on this subject.
- Author BiographyRush Rhees (1905-89) was one of Wittgenstein's closest friends and his literary executor. He taught at Swansea from 1940 to 1966. Amongst Wittgenstein's posthumous works edited by Rhees are Remarks on the Foundations of Mathematics (1956), Blue and Brown Books (1958), Philosophical Remarks (1964), Lecture On Ethics (1965) and Philosophical Grammar (1969). Rhees is also the author of Discussions of Wittgenstein (1970, 1996) and Wittgenstein and the Possibility of Discourse (1998). D. Z. Phillips is Professor of Philosophy Emeritus and Rush Rhees Professor Emeritus at the University of Wales, Swansea, and Danworth Professor of the Philosophy of Religion at Claremont Graduate School, California. He has published widely in the philosophy of religion and ethics; some of his more recent books include Interventions in Ethics (1992), Wittgenstein and Religion (1993) and Religion and the Hermeneutics of Contemplation (2001). He is also editor of the Blackwell journal Philosophical Investigations.
- Author(s)Rush Rhees
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication01/05/2005
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishing Ltd
- Content Note1
- Weight312 g
- Width153 mm
- Height219 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byProfessor D. Z. Phillips
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.