All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.87
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
About this product
- DescriptionWhat does it take for a woman to succeed as a writer? In these revealing interviews, first published in 1988 as Historias intimas, ten of Latin America's most important women writers explore this question with scholar Magdalena Garcia Pinto, discussing the personal, social, and political factors that have shaped their writing careers. The authors interviewed are Isabel Allende, Albalucia Angel, Rosario Ferre, Margo Glantz, Sylvia Molloy, Elvira Orphee, Elena Poniatowska, Marta Traba, Luisa Valenzuela, and Ida Vitale. In intimate dialogues with each author, Garcia Pinto draws out the formative experiences of her youth, tracing the pilgrimage that led each to a distinguished writing career. The writers also reflect on their published writings, discussing the creative process in general and the motivating force behind individual works. They candidly discuss the problems they have faced in writing and the strategies that enabled them to reach their goals. While obviously of interest to readers of Latin American literature, this book has important insights for students of women's literature and cultural studies, as well as for aspiring writers.
- Author BiographyMagdalena Garcia Pinto is Associate Professor Emerita of Spanish at the University of Missouri, Columbia. Trudy Balch (1956-2010) was a translator specializing in Spanish and Ladino.
- Author(s)Magdalena Garcia Pinto
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication25/06/1991
- LanguageEnglish & Spanish
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleTexas Pan American Series
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Note10 b&w illus.
- Weight726 g
- Width153 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Illustrator(s)Karen Parker Lears
- Translated byTrudy Balch
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.