All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn response to recent media controversy and public debate about legal pluralism and multiculturalism, Manea argues against what she identifies as the growing tendency for people to be treated as 'homogeus groups' in Western academic discourse, rather than as individuals with authentic voices. Building on her kwledge of the situation for women in Middle Eastern and Islamic countries, she undertakes first-hand analysis of the Islamic shari'a councils and Muslim arbitration tribunals in various British cities. Based on meetings with the leading sheikhs - including the only woman on their panels - as well as interviews with experts on extremism, lawyers and activists in civil society and women's rights groups, Manea offers an impassioned critique of legal pluralism, connecting it with political Islam and detailing the lived experiences of women in Muslim communities.
- Author BiographyElham Manea is Associate Professor in the Political Science Institute at the University of Zurich. She is a Fulbright scholar and consultant for Swiss government agencies and international human rights organizations. She is the author of The Arab State and Women's Rights: The Trap of Authoritarian Governance (2011), Regional Politics in the Gulf: Saudi Arabia, Oman, Yemen (2005) and Political Parties and Organizations in Yemen, 1948-1993 (1994). She has recently been appointed by the Swiss Federal Council as a Member of the Federal Commission for Women's Affairs.
- Author(s)Elham Manea
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd.
- Date of Publication30/05/2016
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Series TitleLibrary of Islamic Law
- Series Part/Volume Number9
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note3 integrated bw
- Weight363 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $44.73Trending at AU $47.15
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.