All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJenny Jochens captures in fascinating detail the lives of women in pagan and early Christian Iceland and Norway: their work, sexual behavior, marriage customs, reproductive practices, familial relations, leisure activities, religious practices, and legal constraints and protections. Much of this information also applies to everyday life in the entire Germanic world. Conveying the experiences t only of aristocrats but also of ordinary farmers, the author draws from her extensive kwledge of the oldest and fullest record of the Germanic tribes. Women in Old Norse Society places particular emphasis on changing sexual mores and the impact of the imposition of Christianity by the clergy and the Norwegian kings. It also demonstrates the vital role women played in ecomic production: homespun was used for every conceivable domestic purpose; the lengths of cloth became the standard of measurement for local commercial exchange and were used to obtain commodities abroad. Jochens's masterly command of the Old Norse narratives and legal texts enables her to provide a rich social history that includes the fullest analysis to date of pagan and Christian marriage and the first comprehensive study of infanticide in the North.
- Author BiographyJenny Jochens is Professor of History Emerita at Towson University.
- PrizesWinner of A 1996 Choice Magazine Outstanding Academic Title.
- Author(s)Jenny Jochens
- PublisherCornell University Press
- Date of Publication26/03/1998
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationIthaca
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1998
- ImprintCornell University Press
- Weight425 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine5 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $34.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.