All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.41
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.41
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.20
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.15
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.50
About this product
- DescriptionThe writer and intellectual Lou Andreas-Salome (1861-1937) fascinates scholars of German literature because of her associations with Nietzsche, Rilke, and Freud and because she was active in the cultural and intellectual vanguard of late 19th- and early 20th-century Germany and Austria. Recent editions of her fictional works have garnered wider attention from scholars of literature and theory, particularly those interested in women's studies, identity politics, and narrative theory. This study analyzes how Andreas-Salome depicted women in her fictional works just as feminism was emerging, revealing a complex engagement with questions of narrative and identity. More than mere thematic explorations of women's changing roles in society, her works investigate the concept of identity and its relationship to gender, sexuality, and narrative representation. She is as concerned with a cultural crisis of femininity and masculinity as with the identity crises of her individual women characters. This book offers the best account of Andreas-Salome's literary works, de-emphasizing biographical and psychoanalytical perspectives but taking into account the sociopolitical, historical, and cultural contexts in which they were written. It also adds to contemporary theoretical discourses on gender, feminism, and identity. Muriel Cormican is professor of German at the University of West Georgia, Carrollton, Georgia.
- Author BiographyMuriel Cormican is Associate Professor of German in the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures at the University of West Georgia, Carrolton, Georgia.
- Author(s)Muriel Cormican
- PublisherBoydell & Brewer Ltd
- Date of Publication01/12/2009
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleStudies in German Literature, Linguistics, and Culture
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 52
- Place of PublicationColumbia, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2009
- ImprintCamden House Inc
- Weight454 g
- Width163 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.