Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.83Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.11
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $102.82
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $84.79
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.69
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $47.88
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $83.60
About this product
- DescriptionThe author's much consulted Gloucestershire Woollen Mills has long been out of print. Wool and Water is a comparative, fresh appraisal of the history of the woollen industry in Gloucestershire, a county with over 200 mills in the industry's heyday. Wool and Water traces the origins of the water-powered industry from the late 12th century to its demise, with two mills remaining in the 20th century. Themes discussed include the organisation of the 'domestic' industry until the mid-18th century; the development of the factory from the late 18th century; fluctuations in trade and, finally, competition from Yorkshire. Where did Gloucestershire's cloth go? To markets all over the world: to Hudson's Bay, to India, besides Europe; to clothe the British Army, as well as speciality cloth for coronations and the Pope's robes.
- Author BiographyJENNIFER TANN is the former Dean of Education and Director of Research at Birmingham University Business School. She has published 5 books and numerous articles on the history of industry and technology and has written on the subject of contemporary innovation. She currently chairs the Stroudwater Textile Trust and sits on Gloucester Diocese Bishop's Council and has just been elected to the General Synod of the Church of England. Jenny lives in Chalford, Stroud.
- Author(s)Jennifer Tann
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/08/2012
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight320 g
- Width172 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.