Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $35.87Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $11.83Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLanguage wears many hats, but its most important job is to help us name or describe what's in the world. Words define us, our actions, even our existence. And just when you think that you have all the words you need, you discover new ones, hear new uses for old ones or see them mutate right before your eyes a neologism is born. Those neologisms are actually one of the best ways of keeping tabs on the way our world and culture are changing. One of the people who's been keeping tabs is Paul McFedries, the president of Logophilia Limited ( logophilia is Greek for the love of words ). His scorecard is Word Spy, a daily newsletter that has been reporting from the neological frontier since 1998 and that has more than 100,000 visitors a month and more than 12 million page views. In Word Spy, McFedries demonstrates how new words both reflect and illuminate t only the subcultures that coin them but also the larger culture in which these groups exist. Neologisms give us insight into the way things are even as they act as linguistic harbingers of what's to come. Each chapter of Word Spy is a cultural snapshot, a slice of the zeitgeist that focuses on a specific idea or sociological phemen, with an emphasis on the words and phrases that it has generated. These snapshots cover various aspects of modern life, including relationships, business, techlogy, war, aging, multiculturalism, and even fast food, all the while introducing us to hybrid words: If your kids can't seem to get away from their computers, they may be addicted to fritterware (time-wasting game software). If you're a new mother with a passion for petitioning, you may be a lactivist (breast-feeding activist). And if you keep finding yourself staying way later at the office than you ever imagined, you may be suffering from presenteeism. Word Spy is an exciting and informative travelogue through the evolving landscape of our language and, consequently, the cultures and subcultures that continually mold and shape t just the language but all of us who speak it.
- Author BiographyPAUL McFEDRIES is the creator of Logophilia Limited and has written more than forty books that have sold over 2.3 million copies worldwide. These books include many titles in the Complete Idiot's Guide series, including The Complete Idiot's Guide to a Smart Vocabulary.
- Author(s)Paul McFedries
- PublisherBroadway Books (A Division of Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group Inc)
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBroadway Books (A Division of Bantam Doubleday Del
- Out-of-print date11/12/2011
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight299 g
- Width133 mm
- Height204 mm
- Spine23 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.93
- AU $23.60Trending at AU $29.65
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $38.02
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.93
- AU $30.86Trending at AU $32.07
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.73
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.