All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'World music' emerged as an invention of the West from encounters with other cultures. This book draws readers into a remarkable range of these historical encounters, in which music had the power to evoke the exotic and to give voice to the voiceless. In the course of the volume's eight chapters the reader witnesses music's involvement in the modern world, but also the individual moments and particular histories that are crucial to an understanding of music's diversity. World Music is wide-ranging in its geographical scope, yet individual chapters provide in-depth treatments of selected music cultures and regional music histories. The book frequently zooms in on repertoires and musicians - such as Bob Marley, Bartok, and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - and attempts to account for world music's growing presence and popularity at the beginning of the twenty-first century. ABOUT THE SERIES: The Very Short Introductions series from Oxford University Press contains hundreds of titles in almost every subject area. These pocket-sized books are the perfect way to get ahead in a new subject quickly. Our expert authors combine facts, analysis, perspective, new ideas, and enthusiasm to make interesting and challenging topics highly readable.
- Author BiographyPhilip V. Bohlman, Professor of Music and Jewish Studies at the University of Chicago, has taught and published from an exceptionally broad range of topics in today's world musics: folk and ethnic music in the USA; the musics of European minorities and refugees; the Middle East and South Asia; the ideological and political dimensions of music in nationalism and racism. He is the 1997 recipient of the Royal Music Academy's Dent Medal, and Bohlman has written, edited, or co-edited seventeen books.
- Author(s)Philip V. Bohlman
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication30/05/2002
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleVery Short Introductions
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Note9 halftones, 2 maps and 1 music example
- Weight166 g
- Width113 mm
- Height177 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.23
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.11
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.05
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.87
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.29
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.89
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.