All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.41
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.16
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $32.98Trending at AU $40.00
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.20
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.15
About this product
- DescriptionThe fourth edition of World Religions: Western Traditions provides students with an authoritative examination of Western religions. In this contributed text, experts on Jewish, Christian, Muslim, ancient, indigeus, and new traditions employ extensive kwledge and rigorous research to thoroughly investigate each fascinating tradition. Accessible and engaging, the text explores the origins, central teachings, divisions and branches, rituals and practices, influences on culture, and responses to modern challenges for each tradition. Newly written chapters on Jewish and Christian traditions bring fresh perspectives to the volume and join established contributions to create an enhanced fourth edition. The new edition also includes more content on the role of women and an increased focus on contemporary issues in a new Recent Developments section in every chapter. Additions to the dynamic pedagogical program retained from the third edition include chapter outlines, chapter summaries, discussion questions, and Sacred Texts tables. Document boxes provide excerpts from important texts, hymns, and prayers; focus boxes offer additional insight on interesting topics; and new site boxes highlight places with special significance to create a rich learning experience. Visually stunning, more full-colour photographs effectively illustrate the practices, rituals, and symbols characteristic of each tradition, while maps help situate their evolution. Recognized as the definitive survey of the subject, the fourth edition of World Religions: Western Traditions continues to provide a readable and reliable introduction to Western religions.
- Author BiographyThe late Willard G. Oxtoby, the original editor of this text, was professor emeritus at the University of Toronto, where he launched the graduate program in the study of religion. His books include Experiencing India: European Descriptions and Impressions and The Meaning of Other Faiths. Amir Hussain is professor in the Department of Theological Studies at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles, where he teaches courses on Islam and world religions. Roy C. Amore is professor and an associate dean in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at the University of Windsor in Ontario.
- Author(s)Amir Hussain,Roy C. Amore
- PublisherOxford University Press, Canada
- Date of Publication30/01/2014
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintOxford University Press, Canada
- Content Note80 photos, 8 maps, 6 tables, 1 figure
- Weight834 g
- Width203 mm
- Height255 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byWillard G. Oxtoby
- Edition Statement4th Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.