All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAll textiles epitomize the cultures that make them, from the silk brocade saris of India to North American patchwork quilts. Interestingly, societies separated by vast distances have developed similar solutions to design and construction while producing a dazzling diversity of styles. This is the first book to illustrate (in nearly 800 sumptuous colour photographs and drawings) the whole range of traditional handmade textiles from all over the globe, classified by materials and technique rather than age or country. Eight sections cover all aspects of production, each giving a summary of characteristics, making and geographical distribution. Every kind of textile is covered: n-loom and loom-woven, painted and printed, dyed, sewn, embroidered and embellished. Completed by a glossary, further reading and information on collections with public access, this is an unrivalled guide for anyone interested in collecting or making and designing textiles.
- Author BiographyJohn Gillow has written widely on ethnic textiles and other crafts. His publications include Traditional Indian Textiles (with Nicholas Barnard), Traditional Indonesian Textiles and, most recently, African Textiles. Bryan Sentance, an inveterate traveller and educator in the field of arts and crafts, is author of Basketry and (with John Gillow) of World Textiles.
- Author(s)Bryan Sentance,John Gillow
- PublisherThames & Hudson Ltd
- Date of Publication04/10/2004
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThames & Hudson Ltd
- Content Note778 illustrations, 551 in colour
- Weight1180 g
- Width240 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.