All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThese thought-provoking essays provide insightful reflection on both the experience and the condition of experiencing ather culture experiencing ather culture. Written by an American woman who resides and teaches in Sharjah in the United Arab Emirates, these informal sketches of life in the Gulf capture the flavor of that exotic corner of the Arab world. Even as she acquaints us with intriguing aspects of Emirati culture, the author tes the varied difficulties inherent in perceiving ather way of life, especially one that has been igred and frequently misrepresented in the West. She provides a unique view of the diverse ways in which American pop culture affects Middle Eastern thought and custom, from shopping and song to fashion and fads. Keenly observed and graced with wit and authority, these essays offer a palpable picture of a place little kwn to the West while raising substantial questions about the essence of culture and the stereotyping of people and places. Off the Beaten Track will be vastly useful to teachers of Middle East studies and those who have contact with n-Western students. Readers interested in the region and travel aficionados will find it an enlightening and highly original read.
- Author BiographyJudith Caesar is associate professor of English and chair of the English Department at American University of Sharjah, United Arab Emirates. She is the author Crossing Borders: An American Woman in the Middle East, also published by Syracuse University Press.
- Author(s)Judith Caesar
- PublisherSyracuse University Press
- Date of Publication30/11/2002
- LanguageEnglish & English
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Series TitleContemporary Issues in the Middle East
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSyracuse University Press
- Content Notemap
- Weight331 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edition Statementannotated edition
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.