All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $31.69Trending at AU $33.69
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.78
About this product
- Description'This is a superb book which combines the rare mixture of high quality information with humour. The style of writing engages the reader from the introduction and the experience and insight of the author occasionally makes it difficult to put down, a rare feature of a textbook. I would unreservedly recommend this book t only to those studying journalism but to students of language and all who use the spoken and written word as the 'materials' of their work.' Barry Turner, Nottingham Trent University 'Rick Thompson's guidance manual is packed with advice to would-be writers for this medium. He's someone with years of experience at the top level of the national and international profession, and he's smack up to date with his references. The book is aimed at journalists, but anyone with a serious interest in developing their literacy will learn a lot about professional writing skills from what he has to say.' Roy Johnson, www.mantex.co.uk Writing for Broadcast Journalists guides readers through the significant differences between the written and the spoken versions of journalistic English. It will help broadcast journalists at every stage of their careers to avoid such pitfalls as the use of newspaper-English, common linguistic errors, and Americanised phrases, and gives practical advice on accurate termilogy and pronunciation, while encouraging writers to capture the immediacy of the spoken word in their scripts. Writing for Broadcast Journalists includes: * practical tips on how to avoid 'journalese', cliches and jargon * guidance on tailoring your writing style to suit a particular audience * advice on converting agency copy into spoken English * writing to television pictures * examples of scripts from some of the best in the business * an appendix of 'dangerous' words and phrases to be avoided in scripts.
- Author BiographyRick Thompson has held senior editorial positions with BBC News at the regional, national and international levels in television and radio. He now trains journalists in central and eastern Europe, and is the Visiting Professor of Broadcast Journalism at Birmingham City University.
- Author(s)Rick Thompson
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication16/07/2010
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Series TitleMedia Skills
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight430 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.