All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAll researchers need to write or speak about their work, and to have research that is worth presenting. Based on the author's decades of experience as a researcher and advisor, this third edition provides detailed guidance on writing and presentations and a comprehensive introduction to research methods, the how-to of being a successful scientist. Topics include: * Development of ideas into research questions; * How to find, read, evaluate and referee other research; * Design and evaluation of experiments and appropriate use of statistics; * Ethics, the principles of science and examples of science gone wrong. Much of the book is a step-by-step guide to effective communication, with advice on: * Writing style and editing; * Figures, graphs and tables; * Mathematics and algorithms; * Literature reviews and referees' reports; * Structuring of arguments and results into papers and theses; * Writing of other professional documents; * Presentation of talks and posters. Written in an accessible style and including handy checklists and exercises, Writing for Computer Science is t only an introduction to the doing and describing of research, but is a valuable reference for working scientists in the computing and mathematical sciences.
- Author BiographyJustin Zobel is Head of the University of Melbourne's Department of Computing & Information Systems. He received his PhD from the University of Melbourne and for many years was based at RMIT University, where he led the Search Engine group. As a researcher, Professor Zobel is best known for his role in the development of algorithms for efficient web search. His current research areas include search, measurement and evaluation, bioinformatics, fundamental algorithms and data structures and compression. He is an author of around 200 papers, has written three texts on postgraduate study and research methods and is an associate editor of ACM Transactions on Information Systems, Information Processing & Management, and Information Retrieval.
- Author(s)Justin Zobel
- PublisherSpringer London Ltd
- Date of Publication14/03/2015
- SubjectComputing: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSpringer London Ltd
- Weight462 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.