All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.37
About this product
- DescriptionI.B.Tauris is delighted to anunce the reissue in paperback in three volumes of the definitive, most comprehensive edition, in the finest translations and fully antated, of the writings of this great filmmaker, theorist and teacher of film - and one of the most original aesthetic thinkers of the twentieth century. Volume 3 follows on from the 1922-34 writings of Volume 1 and parallels Volume 2's essays on the theory of montage. In the period covered by this volume, Eisenstein's film-making ran into the difficulties generated by the Soviet authorities' increasingly restrictive definition of Socialist Realism, by the show trials and the purges, the Second World War, and the post-war proclamation of rigid cultural orthodoxy by Stalin's henchman, Zhdav. Here we experience Eisenstein's reaction to this hostile environment, as filmmaker, theorist and teacher, from his public obeisance over 'Bezhin Meadow' to his private defiance with 'Ivan the Terrible'.
- Author BiographyRichard Taylor is Emeritus Professor of Politics and Russian Studies at Swansea University, Wales. His many books on Russian and Soviet cinema include 'Film Propaganda: Soviet Russia and Nazi Germany' (1998) and the KINOfile Film Companion to 'The Battleship Potemkin' (2001), both from I.B.Tauris. He is Series Editor of 'KINO: The Russian Cinema Series' (I.B.Tauris). William Powell studied Russian at Clifton College, London University and Voronezh University. He has translated other writings by Eisenstein, including his memoirs, 'Beyond the Stars', and a selection of screenplays by Tarkovsky.
- Author(s)Sergei Eisenstein
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd.
- Date of Publication30/07/2010
- LanguageEnglish & English
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note8pp b/w illustrations
- Weight558 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byRichard Taylor
- Translated byWilliam Powell
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.