All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $44.50Trending at AU $52.90
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $37.52
About this product
- DescriptionYam in West Africa examines a crop that has been sidelined and igred for too long while being central to the existence of so many and consumed worldwide. In this book, Felix Nweke attempts to unravel the contradictory nature of the yam crop sector in West Africa by looking at the largest issues in the problematic industry. Yam production is concentrated in West Africa, which is responsible for more than 90 percent of the 50 million tons produced annually around the globe. Though the crop can attract high prices, too often its producers live in penury. Regional issues drive up labor costs of food crops because of dependence on obsolete techlogy. In addition, certain agromic practices that are peculiar to yam production remain unchanged, and pests and diseases still ravage the crop. Yam in West Africa investigates solutions to these problems with the aim of expanding yam production, increasing sales, helping farmers, and bringing more of this staple food to those who need it. The future of the yam is bright; this book aims to make it more so.
- Author BiographyFelix I. Nweke has been Professor of Agricultural Economics at the University of Nigeria, senior economist at International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, and visiting professor at Michigan State University, among other positions. In 2012 he received a lifetime achievement award for leadership in tropical root crops research.
- Author(s)Felix I Nweke
- PublisherMichigan State University Press
- Date of Publication01/12/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMichigan State University Press
- Weight272 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.