All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.43Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
About this product
- DescriptionA semi-fictional collection of tales inspired by real experiences of a middle-aged Indian immigrant who has chosen to settle down in a small Victorian country town named Alexandra. The locals call it Alex, and it is at the edge of the Australian Alps, in Murrindindi shire that was half burned out in the bushfires of 2009. The author wants to find a permanent home for his family. The beautiful land with mountains, hills, forests, rivers, lakes, wildlife together with the spirit, the warmth and acceptance of the local people bowl him over. Life here reveals to him the common human values that come through despite the differences of cultures between his native India and the Aussie countryside. He finds support, love and comfort from the locals as his family undergoes the challenges of a family breakup. He realises he could t have found a better town to call his home after 48 years of wandering the planet, and why for him being called a local would be a high hour. His writings are seen by the locals as a fresh look at life from a different perspective, through the eyes of someone who grew up in a far away land in a different culture and has lived on three continents. Many of them share their own life stories and those of their families willingly as this becomes a record of past and living local history of the people and the places around Alexandra.
- Author BiographyKannan Iyer was born in India. He has lived in over a dozen different cities and studied to be computer engineer in India and the US. He first lived overseas as a graduate student in Alaska and then worked as an engineer in the US. Then he moved back to India and migrated to Australia in 2000. Here he intended to have a go at all the things in life he always wanted to do that were meaningful to him - help raise his children, teaching, wood-working, and working for himself. He wanted to settle down finally in his middle-age in one place he could call home. He used to write short stories and poems in his high school and university days occasionally. Finally, in 2009 his family found a place called Alexandra that was welcoming of him and his ideas for a making a home there, raising his kids and running a business. Alexandra, Victoria, is in the foothills of the Australian Alps. His family moved to Alexandra just after the bushfires of 2009, with his two young children. He enjoys finding fun ways to teach and interest kids in learning math and science and playing with dolls with his daughter. He runs a program called Hungryminds at the local high school for interested kids, where mostly they pretend to be pioneers in thinking - the first people attempting to solve a problem.
- Author(s)Kannan Iyer
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication29/01/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHumour: Collections & General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight327 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.