Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.00Trending at AU $70.55
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.30
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $68.17
- AU $27.82Trending at AU $32.91
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $87.36
- AU $67.59Trending at AU $76.01
About this product
- DescriptionEmile Lahood served in various posts in the military, including commander-in-chief of the army from 1989 to 1998. In 1998 he had the constitution amended to allow the army commander-in-chief to run for office within three years of holding that post, and was subsequently elected as President of Leban. Lahood's popularity, political neutrality and strong ties with Syria and the United States made him well suited for the Lebanese presidency, an office traditionally occupied by a Christian. Lahood actively stifled opposition to the Syrian military presence in Leban. He also oversaw Israel's withdrawal from southern Leban in 2000. At the conclusion of Lahood's extended term in 2007, the National Assembly could t agree on a successor, and he was replaced by an acting president, Fouad Siniora Years of Resistance is a testimony of Lahood's mandate during his nine years in office. The material for the book is mostly taken from the weekly meetings that the author, Karim Pakradouni, and Lahood had during his time in office. The reader is placed at the heart of Lebanese politics, as Pakradouni reveals the conflicts, reform attempts, liberation and political assassinations that shaped Lahood's reign. This book brings to light new details of important documents and events, and describes several key Lebanese and Arab figures in a way that leads to better comprehension of the interminable crisis and wars which took place in Leban and in the Middle East. This book is a summary of the Lebanese political situation where hopes are interspersed with fear.
- Author BiographyKarim Pakradouni is a lawyer, minister and writer, with degrees in Law and History, and an MA in Political Sciences. He has held many esteemed positions during his career, including counsellor of former President Elias Sarkis, counsellor of former President Bachir Gemayel, President of the Kataeb Party, and Minister of State for Development Reform. His previous publications include Stillborn Peace: Elias Sarkis' Mandate (1976 - 1982) and Le Piege: Amine Gemayel's Mandate (1982 - 1988).
- Author(s)Karim Pakradouni
- PublisherGarnet Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication01/05/2012
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Place of PublicationReading
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintGarnet Publishing Ltd
- Weight748 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine36 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.