Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.52
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.39
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.81
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.14
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.09
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.44
About this product
- DescriptionYears of Upheaval discusses Axial periods in history; years that witnessed such fundamental reversals in history as to make the world turn upside down and inaugurate a new era. Raphael Israeli sees the post-1989 period as such a period in Islam. He explores events in the Islamic world since the end of the 1980s, and during the 1990s and their aftermath, particularly following the Iranian Islamic Revolution, the Rushdie Affair, and the death of Khumeini. Israeli posits these events signaled a new age of Islamic violence and fundamentalism. The period has seen the dissipation of state borders and the rise of transnational and trans-territorial movements, such as ISIS, that have been extraordinarily attractive to young people in the Islamic world. The hopeful Arab Spring (2010-2013) has been replaced by a threatening Islamic winter. A number of major events shook the Muslim world on both the Asian and the African continents as well as peripheral Islamic mirities in Australia, Canada, and Latin America. Among them were the Islamic Bomb and the rise of radical Islamic movements-tably Hamas and Hizbullah-and the rift between Sunnites and Shiites. These and other momentous events in the Islamic world occasioned the Arab Spring and produced unrest in a wide swath of the Muslim world. Even more importantly, these were forming trends that are characterizing the decades thereafter.
- Author BiographyRaphael Israeli is professor of Islamic, Chinese, and Middle Eastern history at the Hebrew University, Israel. He is the author of over forty books, including From Arab Spring to Islamic Winter, The Death Camps of Croatia, and The Oslo Idea.
- Author(s)Raphael Israeli
- PublisherTransaction Publishers
- Date of Publication29/02/2016
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationSomerset, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTransaction Publishers
- Weight825 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.