All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.86
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.84
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.03
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.20
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.29
- AU $9.81Trending at AU $13.34
About this product
- DescriptionI belie ve that the book would provide an overview of the recent developments in the domain of yeast research with some new ideas, which could serve as an inspiration and challenge for researchers in this field. Ne w Delhi Prof. Asis Datta Dec. 24, 2007 F ormer Vice-chancellor, JNU Director, NCPGR (New Delhi) Pr eface Yeasts are eukaryotic unicellular microfungi that are widely distributed in the natural environments. Although yeasts are t as ubiquitous as bacteria in the na- ral environments, they have been isolated from terrestrial, aquatic and atmospheric environments. Yeast communities have been found in association with plants, a- mals and insects. Several species of yeasts have also been isolated from specialized or extreme environments like those with low water potential (e. g. high sugar/salt concentrations), low temperature (e. g. yeasts isolated from Antarctica), and low oxygen availability (e. g. intestinal tracts of animals). Around 1500 species of yeasts belonging to over 100 genera have been described so far. It is estimated that only 1% of the extant yeasts on earth have been described till date. Therefore, global efforts are underway to recover new yeast species from a variety of rmal and extreme environments. Yeasts play an important role in food chains, and carbon, nitrogen and sulphur cycles. Yeasts can be genetically manipulated by hybridization, mutation, rare m- ing, cytoduction, spheroplast fusion, single chromosomal transfer and transfor- tion using recombinant techlogy. Yeasts (e. g.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication01/06/2008
- SubjectOther Specific Technologies
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight1243 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine41 mm
- Edited byGotthard Kunze,Tulasi Satyanarayana
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.