Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $74.97Trending at AU $77.01
- AU $12.52Trending at AU $13.05
- AU $46.02Trending at AU $53.13
- AU $17.59Trending at AU $18.15
- AU $28.94Trending at AU $31.76
- AU $12.13Trending at AU $14.05
- AU $12.21Trending at AU $15.03
About this product
- DescriptionAn eclectic mix of stories from Whittle's writing over the past 15 years during his rise to fame through writing ten published vels. Again, with assistance from his wife Joyce Sandilands as co-author, you'll find autobiographical, historical, adventure, fantasy (ghost) etc ...something for everyone, and as is expected by his fans, suitable for all ages. As per many requests, you'll w learn more about Robert's life as a Yorkshire youngster and a mining engineer in the '50s taking on one of that times' most dangerous jobs. You'll also find two of his poems. His special surprise is a vel within a vel ... a western, which is receiving great reviews. If you're t a western fan, don't worry, if you have enjoyed any of Robert and Joyce's previous vels, you'll t want to miss this one either!! Yesterdays will have you turning the pages, doubt with either a laugh or a tear!! Here's a small selection of some of the 16 stories chosen to be featured in this volume: Motivated by Fear - Three young Jewish boys attempt to escape from Berlin after their parents are arrested during WW2. Hitching rides on trains and often walking, they travel by night through horrid winter weather trying desperately t to get caught as they cross Europe. A Chance Meeting - A wounded soldier, disembarking from a troop ship on Canada's west coast, meets a woman with a young child desperately searching for her husband who was also expected to be returning from the battlefields of Europe. Features characters from Victoria Chronicles Trilogy. Three Janion Ring Stories - Tales of old Victoria are told through the ghost of the old Janion Hotel on Victoria's Inner Harbour. A Change of Attitude - Some children finally discover the value of having a lonely old woman as a neighbour. Confused Identity - A policeman discovers that a street person is t quite what he appears to be.
- Author BiographyJ(ohn) Robert Whittle was born in 1933, the eldest son of 10 children, to an industrious but demanding, Yorkshire, England, farmer and his gentle, but hardworking, wife. (If you are wondering, the J is for John.) Robert, beginning at the age of 4 1/2 years, wanted to help his family by delivering and selling their farm goods. His mother, however, thought him too young and he had to wait until he was six! At that time, with his grandfather's encouragement he also started his own grass-cutting business. This became the true beginning of an amazing life for young Bobby Whittle for, even as a little boy, he loved hard work and if it made money, he worked even harder. Today, despite his elder years (turns 80 in June 2013), that work ethic remains. Robert had a fascinating and eventful life living and working in many different countries beginning as a cricket player (wicket keeper) in England, a mining engineer heading a specialized disaster team for the British Coal Board, and always having his own business on the side. Today, when he should be retired and relaxing a bit, you will still find him selling his books at various locations for 6 month of the year. (see Events above). Robert's mother once told him he was laughing from the minute he was born and today, at almost 80 years-of-age, friends and fans still say he is one of the most upbeat people they know! Perhaps part of the reason he smiles today is because he has discovered that thousands of people enjoy reading the stories he has written - ten novels that he and Joyce have published to date! In mid-1995, for the umpteenth time finding himself on crutches and unable to move around a great deal due to a leg surgery gone wrong, Robert sat in front of his computer engrossed with the results of his quick one-finger typing. What he was typing was the first of three novels he would write while fighting for his life from staph infection. Over the next few years, a wonderful new literary career began to take shape. When you meet Robert you are instantly impressed with his wonderful voice, ready smile and his 'largeness' (he's 6'3?), he says he's lost an inch somewhere! Robert loves meeting his readers at book signing events mainly in Victoria and Vancouver Island, BC but you may be surprised to find that your neighbours (somewhere in the world) have actually read one or more of his books and have them on their library shelf (yes, it's happened many times)!
- Author(s)J Robert Whittle
- PublisherWhitlands Publishing Ltd.
- Date of Publication09/03/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWhitlands Publishing Ltd.
- Out-of-print date27/10/2016
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight336 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.