All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
About this product
- DescriptionBugis Street was famous (or torious) for being a haunt of transgender prostitution in the early decades of postcolonial Singapore. Since then the site has been a source of touristic obsession and local cultural anxiety. In his 1995 film Bugis Street, director Yonfan brings the short lane back to vivid cinematic life. By focusing on the film's representations of queer sexualities and transgender experience, this book contends that the under-appreciated Bugis Street is a significant instance of queer transnational cinema. The film's playful yet nuanced articulations of queer embodiment, spatiality, and temporality provide an unexpected intervention in the public discourses on LGBT politics, activism, and cultures in Singapore today. This book's arrival at a much more complicated and contradictory picture of the discursive Bugis Street, through the examination of Yonfan's film and a range of other cultural and literary texts, adds a new critical dimension to the ongoing historical, geographical, sociological, ethgraphic, and artistic analyses of this controversial space.
- Author BiographyKenneth Chan is associate professor of English and director of film studies at the University of Northern Colorado. He is the author of Remade in Hollywood: The Global Chinese Presence in Transnational Cinemas (Hong Kong University Press).
- Author(s)Kenneth Chan
- PublisherHong Kong University Press
- Date of Publication15/04/2016
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationHong Kong
- Country of PublicationHong Kong
- ImprintHong Kong University Press
- Content Note7 b&w illustrations
- Weight312 g
- Width139 mm
- Height191 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.