CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.19
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.99
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.45
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.54
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.48
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.72
About this product
- DescriptionIn this tender but unblinking portrait of his tiny hometown, Richard B. Ulmer Jr. describes an enchanted boyhood amid the creeks and cornfields of Yorktown, Iowa, where his father was superintendent of a two-room Lutheran school. With shrewd ecomy, Ulmer depicts a whimsical place inhabited by Midwestern archetypes: laconic farmers with seed-cap tans; a mayor tasked with plinking rabid dogs with his .22; a leading citizen who serves as postmaster, slaughterhouse proprietor, butcher, grocer, and possessor of the fire truck's keys. Ulmer and his five sisters enjoyed childhoods guided by a common-sense credo: Don't get a big head. They roamed a wilting hamlet that seemed a wonderland, with its public croquet court, mysterious shivaree rituals outside the homes of newlyweds, and a concrete bandstand in the middle of main street- a looming liability in ather time and place, Ulmer writes. But Iowans were so good-natured, and Yorktown had so few assets, that one ever sued.
- Author BiographyDick Ulmer decided to change careers after ten years as a Nebraska newspaperman, at the weekly Omaha Sun, Lincoln Journal-Star, and, finally, the Omaha World-Herald. He explains, After writing the day-after-Thanksgiving shopping story for the third year in a row, I decided to try law school. He graduated from Stanford Law and enjoyed a long career in California as a civil litigator for clients such as Adobe, and Apple. In 2009, he was appointed a Superior Court judge in San Francisco.
- Author(s)Richard B Ulmer Jr
- PublisherNews Ink Books
- Date of Publication09/11/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNews Ink Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight150 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Illustrator(s)Lynne D Schneider
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.