All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe first draft of this book was written under a tree on the slope of a sandhill where for several years, Englishwoman Pat Lowe shared a desert camp with her lifetime partner, Walmajarri man Jimmy Pike. While spending time in the red heart of the country that had been home to the Walmajarri people for thousands of years, they recorded Pike's stories through his painting and Lowe's writing. You Call it Desert - We Used to Live There is a new edition of Jilji - Life in the Great Sandy Desert. With Jimmy Pike as her teacher, Pat Lowe explored the day-to-day lives of the desert dwellers. Through her unique understanding of their use of the land, its features and materials, Lowe writes about the resourcefulness and ingenuity of the desert people.
- Author BiographyPat Lowe migrated to Australia from England in 1972 and worked as a clinical psychologist in Western Australian prisons for many years. She is an award-winning author of adult and children s books, all of which were written with and illustrated by Jimmy Pike. Jimmy Pike is one of Australia s best-known Aboriginal artists.
- Author(s)Pat Lowe
- PublisherMagabala Books
- Date of Publication01/11/2009
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationBroome, WA
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintMagabala Books
- Content Notecol. Illustrations
- Weight748 g
- Width210 mm
- Height270 mm
- Spine18 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.85Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $34.07
- AU $26.99Trending at AU $29.48
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.