All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAccording to author Glenn Solomon, the at-will employment rule has undermined ecomic security and basic civil rights for decades. In this book he exposes it for what it is and tells workers how to maximize their job protection. The rule essentially is that anyone can be fired at any time, with or without warning, for any reason t specifically prohibited by law (such as race). Moreover, it is extremely difficult to prove wrongful termination in court. Solomon discusses exceptions to the rule (government and union workers) and dispels popular myths about employee rights (many people believe they can only be fired for just cause). Although it deals with sometimes complex legal concepts, the book is written in a style accessible to the average reader. Real-life cases illustrate the author's points throughout. Important topics include contracts, discrimination, deciding whether or t to sue, and setting a damage amount. Solomon concludes with a proposal for a workplace without fear and replaces the at-will rule with a for-cause standard for terminating employment.
- Author BiographyGlenn Solomon has more than twenty years experience in employment law, mostly representing lower- and middle-income clients. He also has considerable experience defending employers. Before beginning private practice, Solomon served as a clerk to the Chief Justice of the Oregon Supreme Court. Solomon is a graduate of Marlboro College and Northeastern University School of Law, and he has a graduate degree in Philosophy from the University of Ottawa. He has published articles on labor and economics in The Christian Science Monitor and The Oregonian.
- Author(s)Glenn Solomon
- Date of Publication01/04/2004
- SubjectLaw for the Layman
- Series TitleUK Professional Business Management / Business
- Place of PublicationSan Francisco
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight270 g
- Width56 mm
- Height85 mm
- Spine7 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.