All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAugustine's Confessions is probably the most commented upon text of early Christianity. Yet, there is a general consensus that this justly famous work is neither well composed r structurally unified. You Made Us for Yourself aims to challenge this common tion by approaching the Confessions in light of what Augustine himself would have considered most I fundamental: creation, understood in a broad sense. Creation, for Augustine, is an epiphany, a light that reveals who God is and who human beings are. It is t merely one doctrine or theme among others, but is the foundational context which illumines all doctrines and all themes. Moreover, creation, for Augustine, is dynamically ordered toward the church, toward the deified destiny the body of Christ both is and brings about. Thus, the Confessions itself can be understood as Augustine's prayer of praise in thanksgiving for the unmerited gift of creation (and re-creation). It is his self-gift back to God-a kind of Eucharistic Offering intended to take up and bring about the same in his readers.
- Author BiographyJared Ortiz is assistant professor of religion at Hope College in Holland, Michigan. He is the author of several publications on Augustine, deification, and the Latin patristic tradition. He is the founder and director of the Saint Benedict Forum for Catholic Thought, Culture, and Evangelization.
- Author(s)Jared Oritz
- PublisherFortress Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/04/2016
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFortress Press,U.S.
- Weight522 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $74.58Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.31Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $17.55Trending at AU $22.92
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.