You Must be This Tall to Ride: Contemporary Writers Take You Inside the Story by B. J. Hollars (Paperback, 2009)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $36.69+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.93+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionCompelling stories have the power to generate infinite wonder: It's nearly impossible to imagine how the author began, and yet we sense there's much more beyond the final word. It's this mystery–a combination of inspiration and craft, smoke and mirrors–that makes writing feel momentous. But it can also feel overwhelming, causing us to become small, scared, t quite ready for the big rides, such as finishing that story, that vel, and finding the courage to share it with the world. In You Must Be This Tall to Ride, you'll find 20 works of fiction and nfiction by acclaimed contemporary authors, each offering fresh perspective on coming of age (a story to which we can all relate), as well as exclusive personal essays and practical exercises. In their own words, these writers grant you a guided tour of craft with unparalleled access to the process behind their creation, including how to:* grow a story from the seed of an image or sentence* allow experiments with language to lead you to plot* turn even the most unlikely characters into heroes* transform raw anecdotes from your own life into compelling fiction and essay Join 20 writers as we grow up and down, taking a rollercoaster ride in stories. You'll t only begin to understand what makes the wheels of a story turn, you'll also gain the tools and strategies to transform lost characters and runaway plots into the greatest show on earth. So go ahead, step right up. Listen for the calliope music, and take your place in line. Your ride has just begun. CONTRIBUTORS:* Steve Almond* Aimee Bender* Kate Bernheimer* Ryan Boudit* Judy Budnitz* Dan Chaon* Brock Clarke* Michael Czyzniejewski* Stuart Dybek* Michael Martone* Antonya Nelson* Peter Orner* Jack Pendarvis* Benjamin Percy* Andrew Porter* Chad Simpson* George Singleton* Brady Udall* Laura van den Berg* Ryan Van Meter
- Author BiographyB. J. Hollars is a student in the MFA programme at the University of Alabama. His short fiction has been published in many journals and has earned the Davenport Fiction Prize and a nomination for the Pushcart Prize. He is a book reviewer for bookslut.com and a staff member for the literary journal Black Warrior Review.
- Author(s)B. J. Hollars
- PublisherF&W Publications Inc
- Date of Publication29/05/2009
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Place of PublicationOhio
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWriter's Digest Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.