All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe most complete book on urban farming, covering everything from growing organic produce and raising chickens, to running a small farm on a city lot or in a suburban backyard.Eating locally and growing one's own food is a rapidly evolving movement in urban settings - Hantz Farms in Detroit has transformed 70 acres of abandoned properties into energy-efficient gardens, and Eagle Street Rooftop Farm, a 6,000-foot vegetable farm in Brooklyn, New York, yields 30 different kinds of produce, while private square-foot farms are cropping up in cities all over the country.Created by Lisa Taylor and the gardeners of Seattle Tilth, Your Farm in the City covers all of the essential information specific to gardening and farming in a city or town. Clear, easy-to-follow instructions guide and inspire even the most inexperienced urbanite in how to grow and harvest all types of produce, flowers, herbs, and trees, as well as how to raise livestock like chickens, ducks, rabbits, goats, and honeybees. Important information particular to gardening in a city or town is included, such as planning and maximizing limited space, building healthy soil, managing irrigation, understanding zoning laws, outwitting urban pests, and being a considerate farming neighbor. With 100 two-color instructional illustrations throughout and dozens of vital resources, Your Farm in the City is the most practical, comprehensive, and easy-to-follow guide to the burgeoning trend of urban farming.
- Author BiographySeattle Tilth is a nationally recognized non-profit organization that cultivates a healthy urban environment and community by teaching people to grow organic food and conserve natural resources. Programs include classes for adults, children and families, community learning gardens, a Master Composter volunteer education and outreach program, a free Garden Hotline, an urban livestock program, community events, and an active volunteer corps. Lisa Taylor is the Education Program Manager for Seattle Tilth. She is a co-author of the Maritime Northwest Garden Guide and a frequent speaker on soils, compost, edible landscaping and children's gardening. She facilitates training for teachers and others interested in schoolyard gardening and is passionate about teaching children and their parents where their food comes from and how to care for living things.
- Author(s)Gardeners of Seattle Tilth,Lisa Taylor
- PublisherBlack Dog & Leventhal Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication23/03/2011
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBlack Dog & Leventhal Publishers Inc
- Content Note100 two-colour illustrations throughout
- Weight632 g
- Width202 mm
- Height253 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.83
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.