All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.26
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $33.19
About this product
- DescriptionIn the wake of structural adjustment programs in the 1980s and health reforms in the 1990s, the majority of sub-Saharan African governments spend less than $10 per capita on health annually, and many Africans have limited access to basic medical care. Using a community-level approach, anthropologist Ellen E. Foley analyzes the implementation of global health policies and how they become intertwined with existing social and political inequalities in Senegal. Your Pocket Is What Cures You examines qualitative shifts in health and healing spurred by these reforms, and analyzes the dilemmas they create for health professionals and patients alike. It also explores how cultural frameworks, particularly those stemming from Islam and Wolof ethmedicine, are central to understanding how people manage vulnerability to ill health. While offering a critique of neoliberal health policies, Your Pocket Is What Cures You remains grounded in ethgraphy to highlight the struggles of men and women who are precariously balanced on twin precipices of crumbling health systems and ecomic decline. Their stories demonstrate what happens when market-based health reforms collide with material, political, and social realities in African societies.
- Author BiographyELLEN E. FOLEY is an assistant professor of international development and social change at Clark University.
- Author(s)Ellen E. Foley
- PublisherRutgers University Press
- Date of Publication15/12/2009
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleStudies in Medical Anthropology
- Place of PublicationNew Brunswick, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRutgers University Press
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight307 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Series Edited byMac Marshall
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.