All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionZen Masters of China presents more than 300 traditional Zen stories and koans, far more than any other collection. Retelling them in their proper place in Zen's historical journey through Buddhist Chinese culture, it also tells a larger story: how, in taking the first step east from India to China, Buddhism began to be Zen. The stories of Zen are unlike any other writing, religious or otherwise. Used for centuries by Zen teachers as aids to bring about or deepen the experience of awakening, they have a freshness that goes beyond religious practice and a mystery and authenticity that appeal to a wide range of readers. Placed in chrological order, these stories tell the story of Zen itself, how it traveled from West to East with each Zen master to the next, but also how it was transformed in that journey, from an Indian practice to something different in Chinese Buddhism (Ch'an) and then more different still in Japan (Zen). The fact that its transmission was so human, from teacher to student in a long chain from West to East, meant that the cultures it passed through inevitably changed it. Zen Masters of China is first and foremost a collection of mind-bending Zen stories and their wisdom. More than that, without academic pretensions or baggage, it recounts the genealogy of Zen Buddhism in China and, through koan and story, illuminates how Zen became what it is today.
- Author Biography<b>Rick McDaniel</b> was born in Indiana and attended college in New Brunswick, Canada, where he continues to live. He taught at the University of New Brunswick and Saint Thomas University before working in International Development with the YMCA. He is the creator of the YMCA Peace Medallion. He is also the creator and author of a five-part documentary series, <i>80/20: A Developing World</i> and coauthor of the textbook <i>A Two Way Approach to Understanding: Issues in Global Education</i>. Dr. McDaniel studies at the Montreal Zen Center with teacher Albert Low.
- Author(s)Albert Low,Richard Bryan McDaniel
- PublisherTuttle Publishing
- Date of Publication24/11/2016
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationBoston
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTuttle Publishing
- Content Note21 black and white illustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width130 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.83
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.