All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.36Trending at AU $49.47
- AU $74.12Trending at AU $76.60
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $35.48Trending at AU $39.06
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.66Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.86
About this product
- DescriptionZhorna is the Ukrainian word for a stone mill that was used to grind grain into flour. The zhorna stands as the perfect symbol for the Ukrainian-Canadian pioneers who settled in western Canada. The patience, strength, and tenacity required to transform rough grains into fine flour are exactly the characteristics with which these pioneers approached their life and work. Zhorna: Material Culture of the Ukrainian Pioneers celebrates the material culture of Ukrainian settlers in western Canada: their folk architecture, household items, and tools they used to make their living. While at first glance these objects may seem mundane, they tell the story of a hard-working and resourceful people with a strong sense of practical aesthetics and a close relationship to the earth and nature. Throughout the text, Roman Fodchuk has included vignettes of his childhood on an Alberta farm. His early life on a pioneer homestead, along with his work as a District Agriculturist in the Ukrainian settlement area in the 1950s, provided first-hand experience of the last days of the pioneer era in western Canada. His recollections are illustrated with photographs and fine line drawings of tools, clothing, buildings, and interiors. His kwledge, respect, and passion combine to create a unique tribute to the spirit of the early Ukrainian community in Canada.
- Author BiographyRoman Fodchuk has worked extensively as a planning and landscape design professional for Parks Canada, the National Capital Commission, Ontario Parks, and national historic parks and national parks across Canada. His firm initiated the planning and design for the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village, a historic park in Alberta.
- Author(s)Roman Paul Fodchuk
- PublisherUniversity of Calgary Press
- Date of Publication30/10/2005
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationCalgary
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Calgary Press
- Content Noteb/w photos & illus
- Weight810 g
- Width245 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine16 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.