All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionZion, the latest collection of poems by TJ Jarrett, is the poignant study of the resonating effects of the civil rights movement on one family. Jarrett lovingly explores the minutiae of mortality and race across three generations of Dark Girls who have come together one summer to grieve and to remember as one of them passes to the farther shore-a place beyond retribution, where there is only forgiveness. The Mississippi of Jarrett's collection is alive with fireflies and locusts and murders of crows; yet for some, it is a wasteland of unanswered prayers, burning evenings, and the shades of dead or disappeared loved ones. There, the dark nights of the soul weigh long and heavy, and every heart has its solstice, and its ache is unrelenting. Yet much as every solstice has an equix, every time to kill has a time to forgive. Throughout the volume, the author imagines opportunities for compassion on multiple levels, from sweeping pardons to the most intimate of mercies. Jarrett's faceless narrator confesses the past through conversation and exploration with torious Mississippi goverr Theodore Bilbo: two minds, two hearts, two races at last face to face. At once brutal and achingly tender, Jarrett's volume itself is a vibrant and musical body, singing to all its parts.
- Author BiographyTJ Jarrett is a senior editor of Tupelo Quarterly and a business intelligence consultant for HealthTrust in Brentwood, Tennessee. She is the author of one volume of poetry, Ain't No Grave, and has published poems in a number of journals, including Poetry, Boston Review, Beloit Poetry Journal, Ninth Letter, Third Coast, VQR, and West Branch.
- Author(s)T. J. Jarrett
- PublisherSouthern Illinois University Press
- Date of Publication30/08/2014
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationCarbondale
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSouthern Illinois University Press
- Weight159 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.48
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.31
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.13
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.65
- AU $33.36Trending at AU $36.24
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.49
- AU $23.12Trending at AU $33.89
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.