Sometimes we can spend so much time getting ready for our belly dance class or a performance that we forget to stretch or warm up - this can spell big trouble as a vigorous belly dance performance can be like running a marathon!
A few things to keep in mind whilst warming up is to keep it simple and gentle, retain good posture and regular breathing. I have included some tips for stretching below.
Don't forget to have fun!
Tips for stretching
· Spend at least 5 to 10 minutes warming up your muscles before stretching. For example, walking gently while swinging your arms in wide circles.
· Start each stretch slowly, exhaling as you gently stretch the muscle.
· Hold each stretch for 10 to 30 seconds.
Common stretching mistakes to avoid:
· Don't bounce during a stretch.
· Don't stretch a muscle that is not warmed up.
· If a stretch hurts, ease up. Don't strain or push a muscle too far.
· Don't hold your breath while stretching.