This is a fantastic tasting and beautifully fresh and filling Spanish soup that can be made the day before and easily carried in a thermos at cold or room (outdoor) temperature.
It provides great energy and is super-healthy too!
100g bread (white or brown, but not grainy), crusts removed
1 kg ripe Roma tomatoes, skinned, halved and de-seeded
1/2 red onion, roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 cucumber, peeled
good pinch of caster sugar
100ml extra virgin olive oil
2-3 teaspoons good quality balsamic vinegar (to taste)
sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Method1. Soak the bread in just enough cold water to cover for 2 - 3 minutes
2. Place the remaining soup ingredients in a food processor or blender. Add the bread and blend until smooth. Season to taste.
3. Pour into thermos (or other liquid-tight container) and refrigerate until you leave.
Serves 2 ravenous hikers or 4 ambling walkers
Optional: If you'd like to pack in some more protein, you can take some cold ham strips or chorizo with you to add when you're ready to eat. Tasty and energising!
- If the Roma tomatoes are not peeling easily, I find this little trick works perfectly:
- Have a pot of just-boiled water and a pot of cold water (with a few ice cubes if you've got some)
- Place tomatoes carefully into hot water for 20 seconds
- Scoop tomatoes out with slotted spoon into cold water to cool a little before easily peeling away skins with a knife
- If you're travelling closely with friends, you may like to leave the onion out, or take plenty of parsley or gum to munch.
"Tasty backpacking food helps keep the spirits up during physical stress, even improving the scenery!”