Solar inverters are an integral part of an electrical circuit within a solar power system. Solar inverters are required to convert the DC (direct current) output, which is produced by photovoltaic solar panels, and convert it into an alternating current, referred to as AC.
The power output is at a utility frequency, meaning it matches that of the mains power supply and can then be used to power electrical devices. Different types of solar inverter are available; for example, those that can be used for off grid, local networks. Used solar inverters are also available, and are often more affordable than new items. A wide range of solar inverters can be found on eBay.
Types of Solar Inverter
There are a number of different types of solar inverter available that can be suitable for different needs and situations. It is important to take into account the type of a solar inverter when considering making a purchase.
If a solar inverter is to be used in a local power grid, which is not to be connected to the main grid then an off grid solar inverter is required. These types of inverter can vary in power from 100watts up to around 8000watts, and are used to power all kinds of small-scale grids, for personal or business needs. Solar inverters of this type can be used to power electronic items as small as a laptop, up to entire households.
When buying an off grid solar inverter, it can be important to ensure that it is surge compliant, and many off grid inverters have this capacity. A surge compliant off grid inverter is particularly important if equipment or appliances are to be powered, which require a surge of power to start. This can include heavy machinery, power tools and appliances, such as washing machines and dishwashers.
Grid tie, sometimes referred to as synchronous solar inverters, are designed to be used in a solar power system that is to be used in conjunction with a mains power connection. These inverters make it possible to draw power from the mains if the solar network is not producing enough power to meet the required output. Conversely, if more power is being generated by solar panels than is being used, it may be possible to sell the power back to the utility company.
Multi-function solar inverters are also available which can combine the capabilities of both off grid and grid tie solar inverters. These are often more expensive than other types of solar inverter, but offer an additional level of versatility.
Also available are battery backup inverters. These inverters are designed to charge a battery while sending excess energy to the grid, and can be capable of powering selected loads in the event of a utility power outage.
Solar Inverter Specifications
There are a number of key specifications that should be taken into account when purchasing a solar inverter of any type. Matching the specifications of an inverter to your needs can help to ensure optimal performance.
Modern solar inverters are widely available offering two main different waveforms.
· Sine wave solar inverters are among the most commonly used. Sine wave solar inverters are generally considerably more efficient than modified sine wave inverters, and can power all kinds of load. They can, however, be a more expensive option.
· A less widely available, but more affordable option is the modified sine wave inverter. This type of solar inverter may not function properly with some types of load, while some types of load may not function at all. This can include some types of washing machine, laser printers and certain laptops.
The wattage of a solar inverter is another key specification.
· The wattage of a solar inverter represents the amount of power that it can output. The amount of wattage required depends upon the load that the solar power grid needs to sustain.
· A wide range of wattage is available, and the wattage needed can also depend upon the amount and wattage of any solar panels that are connected.
Maximum Power Point Tracking
Some solar inverters offer maximum power point tracking, or MPPT.
· MPPT is a feature that can appear on some grid tie solar inverters, and works to ensure that the maximum possible power is drawn from the solar panels to which it is connected.
· MPPT samples the output of the photovoltaic cells of a solar panel in order to ascertain the maximum power that can be drawn, given environmental conditions.
Used Solar Inverters
Solar inverters are available in both new and used conditions.
· Used solar inverters are often more affordable than new alternatives, though may sometimes show signs of wear.
· When buying used solar inverters, it can be important to read the item information to ensure that the buyer knows what they are purchasing.
· Pictures are often included by the seller, which can show the condition of the item. The condition will also often be described in detail, which can help when deciding to make a purchase.
· If any further information about a used solar inverter, or any other piece of solar electronic equipment, it is possible to contact the seller from the item page.
How to Buy a Used Solar Inverter on eBay
A wide variety of solar inverters and other solar electronic items, including chargers and panels, are available on eBay.
· Solar inverters can be arranged by categories, such as price and condition, which can help to narrow down the listing of available items.
· Key information about a solar inverter, such as the type or wattage of the item, will often be prominently displayed in the item listing. This makes it easy to quickly see if a solar inverter meets any specific needs.
· More detailed information, such as the condition of a used solar inverter, can be found on the item page. This includes information about the seller, such as item reviews and feedback ratings, which can help to ensure that the purchase can be made with confidence.
· If a specific solar inverter or other piece of solar equipment is required, it may be easier and more effective to make use of the search function, which can be found at the top of every page. Searches can be made within a specific category, or across the whole site.
· Don't forget to look out for any deals available on solar inverters or other solar equipment under the Electronics category.
Solar power grids can be highly useful, working in conjunction with mains electricity, or supplying a local grid alone, and solar inverters are an integral part of any solar grid.
The solar inverter is responsible for converting the DC power that is supplied from one or more connected solar panels, and changing it into an AC current, which can then be used to power a wide range of different devices and appliances. Used solar inverters are also available, which can be a more affordable option. A wide range of solar inverters and other electronics can be found on eBay.