Home security is something that many people don’t think about investing in but as the cost of living is rising, many are turning to home security cameras to protect their nearest and dearest. In recent years, the devices have become a lot more accessible with the advent of better technology and smaller sizes meaning many people now consider them.
There are hundreds of different varieties available on the market and eBay is one of the best places to find good quality security cameras online. This guide will advise buyers on how to install a security camera and the easiest way to buy one from eBay.
Correctly Installing a Security Camera
The process involved when installing a security camera is one that must be taken seriously for everything to go smoothly. Each heading in this section outlines a key cog in the installation procedure.
Acquire the Correct Components and Parts
When starting out, buyers must be clear as to what has to be bought in order to construct a successful home security system. Most security kits will come with everything included so that putting a system together is relatively hassle free. Some pieces may have to be bought separately and for both situations see the table below:
The main piece of equipment that needs to be purchased as it carries out the act of filming.
Much thought must go into deciding where to place it.
Many different types are available, all with their own unique features.
Digital Video Recorder (DVR)
Films the surveillance collected by the camera and displays on the monitor.
Takes the form of an external box or a card that is plugged into a computer.
Allow viewers to watch live footage or something that has been filmed earlier on.
Power Supply and Cables
Powers the whole system so that it can function.
Cables connect various parts of the system, if needed.
Some surveillance systems are now completely wireless and don’t need this element.
Displays the surveillance footage that is collected by the camera and recorded by the DVR.
Come in many different sizes and the picture is determined by the reliability and strength of the camera.
Choose a Camera
Picking the correct camera depends on a number of different things and there are cameras that will fit every brief. The first choice to make is whether to buy a wired or wireless camera. Once this has been decided there are various different styles of camera, all of which can be found in the list below:
- Dome Camera. Name relates to the housing inside which the camera lens sits. They are small, easy to hide and are a good way to add surveillance to a residential or business premise. Most have a pan/tilt/zoom function.
- Bullet Camera. Can be mounted on a wall or ceiling and is primarily made for use indoors. Some outdoor versions are available and will be marked as waterproof. Designed to shoot images from a fixed position and doesn’t usually have the ability to pan/tilt/zoom.
- Box/Body Camera. Comes in a wide range of different sizes and are suited to surveillance that is more informal and not used for security purposes that often.
Identifying the Best Location for the Camera
Finding the most appropriate place for a camera to be placed is an integral part of the process and takes some thought. The main choice made is between indoor and outdoor as it will open up many more options, and below are some considerations to be taken in each case:
Find a place where the camera is both well hidden and still able to take videos. An ideal place is the overhang where the wall meets the roof of a house. If this isn’t present then an outside wall will suffice. The height of the camera is also important so vandals can’t destroy it easily.
Choose an area where the camera can keep a low profile and not be seen. This depends on the style of camera and where it fits best in a room. Another thing to consider is the amount of wiring needed to connect to the DVR.
Installing the Camera System
Once a camera and installation area has been chosen, it’s then onto the real job in hand – installing the entire system. The process tends to be divided up into a number of smaller tasks and it should be noted this differs from one device to the next.
· Fixing up the Camera. Security cameras come with fittings that allow them to be fixed into place. Most will have some kind of housing that can be put onto a wall or ceiling with screws or an adhesive.
· Sort out the Wiring. The hardest task is setting up the wiring that comes with a security camera system. Wiring will need holes to be drilled in the walls between the camera and the room in which the DVR and monitor are situated. If space allows for it, a room should be set-aside for the DVR or monitor and this is especially the case if the camera is an indoor one. With a wireless system, wiring isn’t so much of an issue.
· Connecting all the parts together. The first thing to do is to connect the camera to the DVR with the relevant wiring provided and make sure both are connected correctly. Both the DVR and camera will need a power supply and this should only be turned on once connected successfully. Next, connect the DVR to the monitor with the correct wires so that images can be watched and recorded. When this has been done switch on the power supply and images should successfully be displayed on the monitor.
· Setting the system to work correctly. This only applies to those using a computer system as a monitor. If the camera and DVR are manufactured to work with a computer then software will be provided. Buyers should follow the on-screen instructions that come with the software to make sure it’s installed correctly.
Buying a Security Camera from eBay
Security cameras are among the best products available for securing a home and buying one online is an easy way to finding a camera that is high quality as well as affordable. eBay is home to one of the largest collections online and makes buying a security camera an easy process. How to finding the right one successfully is outlined below.
· Category Search. It’s simple to find items right from eBay’s home page. From the list of available categories down the side of the page select ‘Home & Garden’. On the following page hover over ‘Home, Personal Security’ and from the list that comes up select ‘Cameras’, this will show you all of the cameras that are available to buy on eBay. A number of parameters will now be present on the left hand side of the page, all of which are outlined below.
· Brand. It’s easy to search on eBay for security cameras according to a certain brand name and it allows buyers to acquire a brand of camera that they trust. Brands that can be searched for include Panasonic, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, Swann and many more.
· Condition. It’s crucial to select a condition that you, the buyer, are happy with. eBay gives buyers the following options: Brand New, New: Never Used, Manufacturer Refurbished, Seller Refurbished, Used, and For parts or not working.
· Search by Name. Customers that have a good idea of the exact item they require can search for it using eBay’s search feature. To do this, simply type the words into the box at the top of any eBay page and use the dropdown list to the right of the box to adjust the results.
· Keep Safe. eBay keeps a transaction history for every seller and it’s a simple way for buyers to check the integrity of the person selling the item.
· eBay Deals. There are various exclusive deals on home security items including ‘security cameras’. Everything listed in this section is limited and is free of any postage costs.
Buying a security camera is an excellent way to secure your home against intruders and ensure your family is safe. eBay is one of the best places to buy such products online and the site’s sellers are there to help buyers at every step of their purchase.
Once ready to complete a purchase remember to use PayPal so that the transaction goes through as safely and securely as possible.