Reishi (Ganoderma Lucidum) - is a mushroom commonly used in traditional Chinese medicine and traditional Japanese medicine. In Japan it is called Mannetake meaning 'thousand year mushroom'.Its Chinese name is Lingzhi which means "herb of the spirit".
It was a very rare and precious Chinese herb in ancient time and Emperors of the great Chinese dynasties and Japanese royalty drank teas and concoctions of Lingzhi for vitality and long life.
For over 2000 years Reishi mushroom has been the most cherished and sought after medicinal herb in Asia and rated as one of the superior herbs in the "Seng Nong's Herbal Classic", a 2000-year old medicinal Chinese book for:
* its efficacy for multiple diseases
* maintaining and restoring balance to the body's interdependent systems
* safety in long-term consumption with no unfavorable side-effects
* natural resistance of the body and longevity
The dried powder of reishi was popular as a cancer chemotherapy agent in ancient China. Research has shown that reishi clearly demonstrated anticancer activity with cancer cells and has possible therapeutic potential as a dietary supplement for an alternative therapy for breast and prostate cancer.
Medicinal mushrooms such as Ganoderma Lucidum (Reishi) and Cordyceps have well been documented in many recent scientific studies to be potent medicine to enhance and support the body's immune function from certain compounds in them such as polysaccharides which increase the activity of the body's natural killer cells(lymphocytes) that are vital to eliminate foreign cells(such as cancer cells).
Supporting research reports published in the Journal of Alternative Complement Med. 2003, Journal of Cancer Integrative Medicine 2004, International Journal of Oncology 2004, FASEB 2004 showed that reishi clearly:
* demonstrates anticancer activity in experiments with cancer cells
* protects the liver and improves liver functions
* has possible therapeutic potential as a dietary supplement for an alternative therapy for breast and prostate cancer