More items related to this product
Best-selling in DVDs & Blu-ray Discs
Save on DVDs & Blu-ray Discs
- AU $24.50Trending at AU $25.24
- AU $146.95Trending at AU $151.50
- AU $48.04Trending at AU $64.70
- AU $13.50Trending at AU $15.12
- AU $94.95Trending at AU $104.77
- AU $12.47Trending at AU $13.15
- AU $96.46Trending at AU $100.64
About this product
- DescriptionThe Beatles' songs may have provided the soundtrack for the lives of those coming of age in the 1960s, but their extensive catalogue acts as the literal soundtrack in this romantic musical from visionary director Julie Taymor. Newcomer Jim Sturgess stars as Jude, a young man working on the docks in Liverpool. Eager to escape, he travels to Princeton where he meets Max (Joe Anderson). But it's his meeting with Max's younger sister Lucy (Evan Rachel Wood) that changes him. They quickly fall in love, but their relationship is tested by the chaos of the late 1960s and Max's unwilling tour in Vietnam. Throughout the film, characters burst into classics from The Beatles: students sing 'With a Little Help from My Friends', while Uncle Sam bursts from a recruitment poster with strains of 'I Want You (She's So Heavy)'. U2's Bono makes a cameo as a counterculture leader and croons 'I Am the Walrus', and Eddie Izzard provides a trippy rendition of 'Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite'.
Sturgess puts in a charming and earnest performance as Jude and is certainly capable of carrying the film. Wood capably balances Lucy's naivete and knowledge, easily moving between her love for Jude and her passion for her cause. Though the performances are strong, it's Taymor's gifted direction that makes ACROSS THE UNIVERSE so fascinating to watch. As in FRIDA and Broadway's THE LION KING, she proves herself an artist with creativity few can match. Director of photography Bruno Delbonnel also deserves praise for his contribution to the striking visuals. He has worked with Jean-Pierre Jeunet on AMELIE and A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT, and he brings the same sense of romance and whimsy to this unique musical.
- Video Trailer
- Leading Role 1Evan Rachel Wood
- Director 1Julie Taymor
- Leading Role 2Joe Anderson
- Leading Role 3Jim Sturgess
- Additional Roles byEddie Izzard,Bono,Salma Hayek
- ProducerSuzanne Todd,Jennifer Todd,Matthew Gross
- ScreenwriterDick Clement,Ian La Frenais
- Score ComposerElliot Goldenthal
- EditorFrancoise Bonnot
- Release FormatDVD
- Release Year2008
- Additional GenreGeneral
- Running Time129 minutes
Most relevant reviews
- fikc65030 Mar, 2012by
love the film amazing conbination of film and classic music
I personally love this film. The film has been made to fit around the music not the other way round which way i feel this has been well made. The characters and the music fit in well with eachother and its a brilliant story line. If your a beetles fan you'll love it, i've never really listened to beetles myself but this film doesnt ruin their song's. You'll love it if you like musicals. Plus i think its way better than mumma mia!!
- 204311706@delet...10 Jun, 2008by
Across The Universe (DVD)
I saw the presentation of ACROSS THE UNIVERSE at OPRAH's show and decided to look for it at eBay. It's a fantastic movie with excellent songs. It reminds me an excellent period of my life - the 60's.
- nlhavfc07 Jul, 2011by
Good film with Quality Songs,
This is a film for all Beatles fans, a clever story with a carefully soundtrack. It may not be for everyone if your not a fan of the Beatles. But it is worth sitting down and watching to mske up your own mind. Just a shame Bono makes a cameo wanting to be John Lennon
- gslfitch23 Jan, 2010by
If you are a Beatles fan then this DVD will have you enthralled, it takes you on a journey that, if you were brought up with the music like I was, will make your day - googooachoo.
- kajo200008 Jun, 2010by
A fun, colourful, entertaining Beatles-inspired musical
A musical set in the 1960s with its storyline and characters based upon songs written by The Beatles. All of the cast are good singers and the director Julie Taymor's use of visual images fits the songs perfectly. I thought this film was very entertaining and fun to watch - look out for Eddie Izzard, Joe Cocker and Bono of U2 making cameo appearances. I bought this DVD as I am a fan of The Beatles, a fan of musicals in general and because I had seen it previously and really enjoyed it. One of my favourite films. The soundtrack album is great too.