All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPlato and Xephon: Apologies compares two key dialogues on the death of Socrates. Socrates was accused of impiety and corrupting the youth of ancient Athens and was tried, convicted, imprisoned, and executed. Both Plato and Xephon make clear that the charges were t brought forward in the spirit of true piety, and that Socrates was a man of real virtue and beneficence. To this day, his trial and execution remain a mark upon the democracy that put him to death. These dialogues underscore the limitations of democratic relativism and emphasize the nature of philosophy or the free mind. Plato's Apology of Socrates is both poetry and an act of reformation, justifying the life of philosophy, challenging the authority of the pagan gods and heroes, and introducing Socrates as a heroic and even divine figure. In contrast, Xephon's Socrates is t dialectical and otherworldly, but makes a different appeal for philosophy. From Xephon emerges the heroic tradition of Plutarch with its reflections on the virtues and vices of great historical men. Focus Philosophical Library translations are close to and are n-interpretative of the original text, with the tes and a glossary intending to provide the reader with some sense of the terms and the concepts as they were understood by Plato and Xephon's immediate audience.
- Author BiographyMark Kremer (Ph.D., University of Chicago) is Assistant Professor of Political Science at Kennesaw State University, with a research focus on political philosophy and political literature. He formerly taught at Boston University, and recently edited and contributed to Plato's Cleitophon: On Socrates and the Modern Mind.
- PublisherFocus Publishing/R Pullins & Co
- Date of Publication01/01/1999
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Place of PublicationMA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFocus Publishing/R Pullins & Co
- Weight98 g
- Width9 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine4 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $22.63Trending at AU $23.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.