Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionAt first sight, thing seems to distinguish the North Staffordshire villages of Knutton, Silverdale and Chesterton. They all have the appearance of residential, dormitory areas of that town. However, within the pages of this book, a rich store of photographs and information detailing the past point to a fascinating history. These three villages in fact played a major part in the development of North Staffordshire's industrial strength in the nineteenth century. The area, once rich in the essential ingredients of industrial change - coal and iron - has developed in many ways over recent years. Almost all this heavy industry has w disappeared, but it is by means forgotten. A detailed insight into the local history of this area, coupled with old and new photographs, enables the reader to understand the rich industrial past once experienced by the people of the three communities in their everyday lives.
- Author BiographyTony Lancaster has taught History in schools, then at Madeley College of Education and finally at Staffordshire Polytechnic, then University. He has written a number of history books for school and college use, both before and after he retired in 1996. He has previously written titles as part of Amberley's Through Time series.
- Author(s)Tony Lancaster
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/11/2012
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Series TitleThrough Time
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note183, 94 colour illustrations
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine11 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.