All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCinematic Howling presents a refreshingly urthodox framework for feminist film studies. Instead of criticizing mainstream movies from feminist perspectives, Hoi Cheu focuses on women's filmmaking itself. Integrating systems theory and feminist aesthetics in his close readings of films and screenplays by women, he considers how women engage the process of storytelling in cinema. The importance of these films, he argues, is t merely that they reflect women's perceptions, but that they have the power to reframe experiences and, consequently, to transform life. A major contribution to feminist scholarship that will appeal to scholars of both gender and film, Cinematic Howling is written in an approachable and inviting style, full of vivid examples and attention to detail, which will suit both undergraduate and graduate courses in gender, film, and cultural studies.
- Author BiographyHoi F. Cheu teaches film theory and applied media aesthetics at Laurentian University, where he is the Director of the Centre for Humanities Research and Creativity.
- Author(s)Hoi F. Cheu
- PublisherUniversity of British Columbia Press
- Date of Publication01/01/2008
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationVancouver
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of British Columbia Press
- Content Note10 b/w photos, 5 charts
- Weight318 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.20Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.