All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSocial class differences and inequalities are alive and flourishing in contemporary Britain. In reviewing a wide range of sources, this book provides easy access to the empirical research on social class. It illustrates how class differences reach into society, affecting t only life--styles but also life--chances -- birth, health and death. Reid demonstrates how social class is related to most aspects of life in Britain including: differences in wealth and income, education and qualifications, work and leisure, expectation of life and experience of health, housing, sex and family relationships, political and religious beliefs and activity. It provides a comprehensive view of the nature of social class in Britain and discusses how the concept of class has been used in empirical research. In sum, it presents a very serious challenge to the hope or promise that Britain is moving towards a classless society. Dispassionate in its approach, clear in its presentation and comprehensive in its treatment, Class in Britain provides an indispensable guide and sourcebook for all those who need to kw, or are interested in, the social structure of Britain today. It is written for a very wide--ranging audience including students, social scientists, teachers, politicians and administrators.
- Author BiographyIvan Reid is Schofield Professor of Education at Loughborough University.
- Author(s)Ivan Reid
- PublisherPolity Press
- Date of Publication22/10/1998
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolity Press
- Content Note0
- Weight446 g
- Width153 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.