All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Joseph Conrad's tales, representations of women and of feminine generic forms like the romance are often present in fugitive ways. Conrad's use of allegorical feminine imagery, fleet or deferred introductions of female characters, and hybrid generic structures that combine features of masculine tales of adventure and intrigue and feminine dramas of love or domesticity are among the subjects of this literary study. Many of Conrad's critics have argued that Conrad's fictions are aesthetically flawed by the inclusion of women and love plots; thus Thomas Moser has questioned why Conrad did t cut them out altogether. Yet a thematics of gender suffuses Conrad's narrative strategies. Even in tales that contain significant female characters or obvious love plots, Conrad introduces elusive feminine presences, in relationships between men, as well as in men's relationships to their ship, the sea, a shore breeze, or even in the gendered embrace of death. This book investigates an identifiably feminine point of view which is present in fugitive ways throughout Conrad's can. Conrad's narrative strategies are articulated through a language of sexual difference that provides the vocabulary and grammar for tales examining European class, racial, and gender paradigms to provide acute and, at times, equivocal investigations of femininity and difference.
- Author BiographyLissa Schneider-Rebozo is Associate Professor of English and Director of Undergraduate Research, Scholarly, and Creative Activity at University of Wisconsin, River Falls, USA.
- Author(s)Lissa Schneider-Rebozo
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication12/11/2003
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleStudies in Major Literary Authors
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight249 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.