All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionStraddling the Derwent River, the cathedral city of Derby, its foundations in the Roman occupation of Britain, can directly attribute its contemporary status to the Industrial Revolution. Spinning mills proliferated from the 18th Century, initially relying on waterpower to produce 100 percent British cotton cloth. Victorian ingenuity and invation became synymous with the rapid industrial and commercial expansion that ensued; Arkwright and Pickford became household names. Derby quickly evolved into a transport and ancillary manufacturing hub in the Midlands, becoming a centre for the British rail industry and the assembly of the iconic Rolls Royce luxury motor car. The subsequent development of the Rolls Royce Merlin aircraft engine, which powered the legendary Spitfire and Hawker Hurricane, launched the company's proud status to what it is today: the world's second largest manufacturer of jet engines and, together with the Toyota car assembly plant, the biggest employer in Derby. This book reveals the rich and diverse history that is reflected in Derby's architecture as, through successive decades of growth, its character, built of brick and stone, underwent varying nuances of transformation. Sprinkled within this parama, however, are the symbols of a modern city: ultra-modern structures, thought by some to be the antithesis of Derby's true architectural heritage.
- Author BiographyBorn and raised in the then colony of Southern Rhodesia, full-time historian, researcher, copy-editor and published author, Gerry van Tonder, came to Britain in 1999, settling in Derby, the city of his wife's birth. Since then, Gerry has undertaken extensive private and commissioned research, specialising in military history. To date he has had three books published, including the co-authored landmark definitive 'Rhodesia Regiment 1899-1981'. A copy of this book was presented to the regiment's former colonel-in-chief, Her Majesty The Queen.
- Author(s)Geerry Tonder
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/04/2016
- Series TitleIn 50 Buildings
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note100
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.