All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat can schools and social care workers do to help children affected by domestic violence? Large numbers of children are affected by domestic violence. The problem crosses every social class and culture. It causes distress and anxiety in children and adversely affects their learning and play, as well as their behaviour, wellbeing and attendance. Education staff may kw of a child or family in crisis, want to help, yet feel outside their comfort zone, grappling with a complex issue t covered in their training. This book describes the impact of domestic violence on children and provides support for education and social care professionals. It takes heavy workloads into account and suggests practical ways of meeting the needs of pupils who come from difficult home backgrounds. The authors provide guidance and advice on: * identifying and responding to signs of distress * helping pupils to talk about and make sense of their experiences * the impact on parenting and how parents can be supported * the needs of young people in refuges and temporary accommodation * pupil safety and government safeguarding guidelines * educating young people and the community about domestic violence * specialist domestic violence services and other agencies that support schools. Domestic Violence and Children draws on the expertise of a wide range of professionals, including specialist domestic violence children's workers and counsellors, psychologists, teachers, mentors and family support workers. It provides essential help and information to all children's service directorates, as well as a range of professionals in education, social care, health and the voluntary sector.
- Author BiographyAbigail Sterne is a former secondary school teacher and year head and is now an educational psychologist in Oldham, UK. Liz Poole is a former primary school teacher and is now an educational psychologist in Oldham, UK.
- Author(s)Abigail Sterne,Liz Poole
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/09/2009
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note22 black & white illustrations, 6 black & white halftones, 2 black & white line drawings
- Weight294 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $21.97
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.