Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $49.78Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $59.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExperience a day in the life of an ELL What if you could barely understand what your teacher is saying? Imagine working mostly independently and silently, with limited opportunities to interact with others. The process of ELL shadowing helps teachers better understand the classroom experience from an English language learner's point of view. The author describes how to implement this easily accessible form of professional development, outlines specific strategies for adapting instruction to engage ELLs, and provides academic language development videos. The benefits of ELL shadowing are many, and include: - Increased teacher sensitivity to ELLs' school experiences - A heightened sense of urgency to help ELLs to learn academic language and content - Improved classroom instruction that spreads throughout schools and districts More engaged students who are more likely to stay in school and reach their potential The text includes a detailed case study of shadowing an English language learner and examples of the range of ELLs in our nation's schools. Readers will also find background on the importance of academic oral language development, the complete ELL Shadowing protocol, and a guide for preparing a personalized professional learning plan for ELL instruction. We cant and must t rest until we give every group of students the kind of education that they deserve. The time is w, and this book shows you how.
- Author BiographyConsulting Description: Academic Language Consulting Description: ELL Shadowing Consulting Description: English Language Learners Dr. Ivannia Soto is associate professor of Education at Whittier College, where she specializes in second language acquisition, systemic reform for English language learners (ELLs), and urban education. She began her career in the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD), where she taught English and English Language Development to a population made of up 99.9% Latinos, who either were or had been ELLs. Before becoming a professor, Dr. Soto also served LAUSD as a literacy coach and district office administrator. She has presented on literacy and language topics at various conferences, including the National Association for Bilingual Education (NABE), the California Association for Bilingual Association (CABE), the American Educational Research Association (AERA), and the National Urban Education Conference. As a consultant, Soto has worked with Stanford University's School Redesign Network (SRN) and WestEd, as well as a variety of districts and county offices in California, providing technical assistance for systemic reform for ELLs and Title III. Soto is the co-author of The Literacy Gaps: Building Bridges for ELLs and SELs, as well as ELL Shadowing as a Catalyst for Change and From Spoken to Written Language with ELLs, all published by Corwin Press. Together, the books tell a story of how to systemically close achievement gaps with ELLs by increasing their oral language production in academic areas. Soto is Executive Director of the Institute for Culturally and Linguistically Responsive Teaching (ICLRT) at Whittier College, whose mission it is to promote relevant research and develop academic resources for ELLs and Standard English Learners (SELs) via linguistically and culturally responsive teaching practices.
- Author(s)Ivannia Soto
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication25/04/2012
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCorwin Press Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width216 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
- AU $22.95New
- AU $77.48New
- AU $36.45New
- AU $30.03New
- AU $78.48New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.52Trending at AU $64.59
- AU $21.92Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $22.97
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.08
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.31
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $82.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.