All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIntense in subject yet restrained in tone, these stories are about longings-often held for years-and the ways in which sex and religion can become parallel forms of dedication and comfort. Though the stories stand alone, a mir element in one becomes major in the next. In My Shape , a woman is taunted by her dance coach, who later suffers his own heartache. A Venetian poet of the 1500s, ather storyteller, is introduced to a modern traveler reading Rilke. His story precedes a mesmerizing narrative of missionaries in China. In the final story, Giles, born to a priesthood family, leans toward Buddhism after a grievous loss, and in time falls in love with the dancer of the first story. So deft and subtle is Joan Silber with these various perspectives that we come full circle surprised and enchanted by her myriad worlds. National Book Award finalist. Reading group guide included.
- Author BiographyJoan Silber is the author of six previous works of fiction. Among many awards and honors, she has won a PEN/Hemingway Award and has been a finalist for the National Book Award and the Los Angeles Times Fiction Prize. She teaches at Sarah Lawrence College and lives in New York City.
- PrizesShortlisted for National Book Awards: Fiction 2004.
- Author(s)J. Silber,Joan Silber
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication14/07/2005
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Out-of-print date20/03/2016
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight220 g
- Width140 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $12.00Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.03
- AU $19.78Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $21.78Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $22.15Trending at AU $23.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.